Friday, September 24, 2010

Half Marathon Training Update.

So...I haven't shared about my half marathon training for over two weeks and the last I shared was about my self-sabotage.  Well...soon after that last post, I went out and did 10 miles!  I ran for 3 minutes and then I walked for 2 minutes, I ran for 3 more minutes, and I walked for 2 minutes...and did that pattern 27.5 times.  It felt great and I was incredibly positive and hopeful.  The following weekend I did 11 miles.  It didn't go as smoothly, but nonetheless, I finished the 11 miles at a pace fast enough that had I been in the actual race, I would not of been gathered up in the patty wagon and driven to the finish.  So I felt that, while this wasn't what I had envisioned back when I signed up, it was still an accomplishment to simply finish, and beating the patty wagon was my new goal.

This past weekend my son was sick and I was exhausted, not feeling the top of my game and had a few pretty severe, throbbing headaches, so I laid low.  On Monday, I decided to go for a short 3 mile run, and not even 1/2 mile into the run I felt a killler, throbbing headache coming on and I turned around and walked home.  The throbbing ache was very strong for a good hour and then a dull pain lasted the remained of the night.  To make a long story short, what I came to realize was that in the past 6 days my headaches were all triggered by exerting energy and my heart rate raising.  This was something that I had never experienced before - and I have not been prone to regular headaches or ever had even one migraine. 

So, yesterday I had a doctor's appointment.  After answering all of his questions, following his fingers (with my eyes) up, down, and all around and performing various sobriety tests (which I passed with flying colors - which is a good thing, since I hadn't had a drink for at least 6 hours), my doc sidelined me from any exertion. He wrote a script for a MRI of my brain (just as a precaution) and set an appointment for a follow-up with him.  So this morning, I headed (literally) into a giant medical tube, had dye injected into my vein, and had millions of magnetic waves penetrating my head, imaging my noggin. 

The good news is that the MRI tech said that she saw nothing alarming, but, of course, my doctor will give me the final results.  My follow up appointment is on Tuesday, so until then, I am banded from any exertion.  This weekend I am signed up for a 5k which I will now watch from the sidelines.  And next weekend is the half marathon.  Honestly, I have no idea whether I'll be able to do it or not.

So...I wish I could wrap this up into a pretty bow with an enlightened conclusion, but right now I do not have one.  On Tuesday I will know more...  Until then I am crossing my fingers and wishing for the best - whatever that might be.


Recent Comments