Friday, September 3, 2010

Half Marathon Training...Self-Sabotage

We must be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies.
~Unknown
 
ARGH!  I have been the queen of self-sabotage this week. 

Last week I did an 8 mile run/walk and it felt pretty good.  Then a day or two later I went out and did just over 3 miles and it felt HORRIBLE and I had to walk at the end...WTF?!!?  So between my "it's-the-first-week-of-school-for-the-kids excuse and not feeling positive or motivated, I have successfully done, basically, no training this week.

I know that I am doing this to myself...  It's all mental...
  • I am overwhelmed by the concept of 13.1 miles
  • I am disappointed that my vision of training for this half marathon has not been my reality
  • I am frustrated that I haven't lost weight
  • And, I know that I didn't really change my eating habits...probably the main reason why I haven't lost weight
  • Plus, I have been trying to be in touch with my Inner Wisdom - but this week my Inner Mean Girl has camped out on my cranium, taking all other thoughts hostage and refuses to relinquish control...or maybe I am just being a little overly dramatic... 
 But the facts remain...I have paid my money, booked my flight, and hotel room, as has my husband, so regardless of my self-sabotage, I am doing this half marathon.

So I know I must move on - literally and figuratively.  This weekend, I have promised myself that I am doing a long run...err, a long run/walk.

I'd like to say "wish me luck"...but really it more about me just getting out there and DO IT!

When you feel like destroying something that you have worked on or worked for or worked toward - that is a sign that there is a need to press harder, to do more, to go past previous boundaries. It also represents that you are at the edge of succeeding.
~Gillian MacBeth-Louthan

27 days until the Half Marathon!


Recent Comments