Thursday, August 26, 2010

Half Marathon Training...35 days to go.

My half marathon training is continuing.  As the race gets closer and closer I have tried to wrap my brain around 13.1 miles and, still it seems impossible.
Last night I did my long run...8 miles.  Overall it felt good!  And today, although I am stiff, I am not as sore as I had expected. 

I have noticed a few things in the past few weeks...

1.  Each time I am going for a run, especially when it is a long one, getting out the door is a challenge.  I go to the bathroom at least 2 times, then I have to find my watch and my headphones, I stretch...and then I walk around the house...procrastinating... and, perhaps more the issue, feeling scared and overwhelmed by the task ahead of me.  8 miles felt daunting.

2.  I need to reevaluate my expectations for the half marathon.  Back in May when I decided to do it, I envisioned myself running at just over a 10 minute mile pace the entire 13.1 miles.  My training has proved I am not going to be that fast.  My pace for 3-4 miles runs is between 12 and 13 minute miles and for long runs between 14 and 15.  And, I think I need to be OK with walking at some points.  With only 35 days to go and since the longest run I have done is 8 miles, reality is beginning to set in.  So I need to figure out my new half marathon reality.

3.  I have a horrible habit of comparing myself to everyone else and that is most often deflating.  I am reading the book, Run Like a Mother (thanks Eternal Lizdom for recommending it!) and I have gotten some great tips...but I can't help but to be discouraged the author put quotes around the word "run" explaining that it was merely a 12 minute mile.  And then I think, "Hell, I would be thrilled with 12 minute miles right now!".  Logically, I know that the author is a multiple marathon runner and has been training for years and to compare is INCREDIBLY unfair to me, but my initial reaction is on of inadequacy and fraudulency.

Only 35 days to go...and some long runs ahead.  I am scared, but optimistic.  And as always...
I'd love any suggestions or thoughts that you may have!

Recent Comments