Saturday, January 29, 2011

In Search of JOY in Ordinary Moments

I have decided that during the month of February I am going to focus on adding more joy to my life. Basically, I am going to have a list of simple things that I can do (one each day) to add nuggets of joy to my life. 

I have done some research on joy and found this quote that I love and reminded me about the ordinary moments that are filled with joy...
I think the beauty of twinkle lights is a perfect metaphor for joy.
Joy is not a constant.  It comes to us in moments – often ordinary moments.  Sometimes we miss out on the bursts of joy because we’re too busy chasing down the extraordinary moments.  Other times we’re so afraid of the dark that we don’t dare let ourselves enjoy the light.
A joyful life is not a floodlight of joy.  That would eventually become unbearable.
I believe a joyful life is made up of joyful moments gracefully strung together by trust, gratitude, and inspiration.
~ Brene Brown 
I am looking build a list of 28 things to do (one for each day) to add joy to my life.  Some that I already have on my list are:
  • Hang twinkle lights
  • Get fresh flowers for my kitchen table
  • Get outside and walk through the park (even though February is stinking brrrr here)
  • Go sledding with the kids
Also, I plan to begin a gratitude journal and write 3-5 items I am grateful for each night, and I am giving up alcohol (since it is a depressant, thus not joy-inducing) for the month.

So I am curious...
what are some ordinary moments/things that bring you joy?

Perhaps you can help me add to my list.

Thanks!

Recent Comments