Thursday, January 27, 2011

Middle of the Road

Extremes and I don't really get along.  In most every situation, I have almost always place myself somewhere in the middle.  Not too left, or too right.  Not too crazy, or too boring.  Not too smart, or too dumb.  Not too successful, but not unsuccessful.  I could go on...

Clearly, at some point in my life, I began to believe that the middle of the road is safe.

And, it is, isn't it?

















I am not sure I fully believe that anymore.

While I am not interested in extremist or radical behaviors.  And, I do find some wonderful benefits to being a "middle of the road" person.  I wonder if I have lived this concept, well, too extreme?!!?  (oh, the irony!)

Typically, I have wanted to "understand all sides", but then, I don't always know how to own my own opinions, thoughts, and convictions.  Also, I generally don't feel too strongly about much, but then, I have missed out on feeling too excited about anything.  And, I suppose, by doing this I have been saved from some heartache and disappointment.

...and that's good, RIGHT?

Or is it...?

I am suspicious that by avoiding heartache and disapointment, I have also inadvertenly denied myself more joy and happiness.


Because, in the end, heartache and and joy go hand in hand...don't they?

Recent Comments