Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Do mothers judge one another?

Yesterday, Liz Szabo worte an article in USA Today entitled Why do mothers judge one another and their parenting? that caught my attention.  The article talked about that "mothers can provide one another with invaluable advice and understanding, they also can be quick to cut one another down, making devoted mothers feel inadequate."  One pediatrician is quoted to saying, "I call it 'competitive parenting'". 

The article reminded me about my early days as a mom.
I often felt judged about allowing my first son to use a pacifier.  Random strangers in grocery store lines, would tell my baby, and a sweet baby-talk voice, "Oh, cutie...you don't need that thing in your mouth."

And the comments and opinions continued about my second son's finger sucking..."Oh, that poor guys is going to have to have braces on those teeth."

As I have grown as a mom, I have become more and more comfortable with my parenting choices and thus able to ignore or dismiss comments.  But, at times, I still feel the sting of the judgements from others.

I'm curious...What do you think?

Do moms (and dads) compete against each other about parenting styles and decisions? 

Have you felt judgment about your parenting choices from other moms?

 

Recent Comments