I addressed it as “Dear Lord” because those are two words I use often (however, I should confess, it is not said in a very kind tone – it is my go-to exasperated and annoyed exclamation) and it is the name I use to refer to a Higher Being. Please feel free to substitute with a name/title/being that is most comfortable for you.
Please give me the strength to deal with my children…
Help me to have…
- The patience to listen and care, even about the seemingly mundane and childish things,
- The understanding to know when to offer support and when to appropriately challenge,
- The ability to not get annoyed at their pestering and pushiness,
- The wherewithal to persist in being the mom that I want to be, instead of mentally and emotionally running away,
- The happiness and joy that I think I should be feeling more often,
- The endurance to continue with the day-to-day aggravations and humdrum tasks of raising children,
- The energy and enthusiasm to play and have fun with them,
- The empathy for their tears and crying and the awareness that their emotions are real – even when, to me, they seem to be excessively dramatic and over reactive,
- The knack to appropriately cope with their whining,
- The stamina to follow through with consequences and teachable moments,
- The kindness they deserve, especially when I am tired, drained, and spent.
And, please give me the capacity to forgive myself, when I can not find the strength to meet all these expectations.
Today I am participating in Pour Your Heart Out Wednesday hosted by Shell at Things I Can't Say.
For some more great posts check out all the other blogger Pour Your Heart Out links!