Monday, April 12, 2010

Why am I blogging, anyway?

Recently I have been thinking a lot about this blog and why am I doing it. I thought that it would be helpful, if only for me, to put in writing, what I hope to accomplish through In Search of Me in Mommy.  First and foremost this blog is about my journey in motherhood. It is my place to figure out me within the chaos of being a mom. In the end, I am doing this for me. If no one else reads my posts, but I learn more about myself, then it will be a success. With this in mind, I have identified the following goals:

1. I hope to grow as a person and as a mom. I intend to challenge myself through books, activities, and other learning opportunities with the expectation of growth and development. This blog is my place to talk about these experiences and share what I have learned.

2. I also hope to say the things that we, as moms, are often afraid to say. Early on as a mom, I found that if I said those horrible things that I was thinking (for example: within the first days of my son’s life telling my husband “I don’t even know if I like him.”) that the horrible-ness was gone and the guilt was depleted. By stating these thoughts, I became more human and felt REAL, instead of trying to be some unrealistic “Supermom” persona.

3. Ideally, I hope this blog provides a starting point to bring moms together to learn from each other. And, to find other moms who are interested in taking the time to learn about themselves and purposely grow as a mom and a person.

4. I have found that I am not the best at appreciating what I have, so this blog provides me the space to be thankful and to express my gratitude.

5. Lastly this blog is my place to practice writing. Various times throughout my life I have dreamed about writing a book. And, if I ever seriously want to pursue that dream, I figured that I should start putting words and thoughts together and see if I have any skill.

As with life, this blog is a process. It is my hope that these goals give me direction – while still being flexible enough for life changes.


UPDATE:  April 17, 2010
Since writing these blogging goals, I realized that I need to add one more...
6.  I hope to have fun and celebrate life's little moments.  And, in the spirit of full disclosure, I will, occasionally, post about my boys, and even *gasp* brag a little.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

hmmm....I think I blogged about this recently...but you actually came up with goals and objectives....over achiever!!! LOL

Seriously, I am impressed with your goals. I especially like #2 and #5!

Jen said...

First of all, you do have a skill, a very good one. I once read a book on writing by of all people Stephen King, it was probably the best how to write book I have ever read. His advice was to read, read, read and write, write, write. If you do those two things you will knock it out of the park.

I love #2. I have thought some pretty odd thoughts that I felt horrible for articulating. I don't feel so bad about it now.

DrSoosie said...

How funny that you and I wrote almost the same thing as to the reasons why we want to blog. I am blogging because I had a very intense year last year with health issues which in turn gave me an appreciation for all that I had. I also have always wanted to write. My children are grown..I am a dentist..but motherhood is/was the greatest thing I have ever done in my entire life. I look forward to reading what you have to say!!!

Susie

lynn said...

Thanks for stopping by for UBP!!
I love #2, I've had many of those types of thoughts myself and always thought I was such a bad mom because of it!

Recent Comments